Since 1861, the Daughters of Charity have served Chicago’s poor, and in 2001 deepened this commitment by starting St. Joseph Services (SJS). The goal was to develop an outreach ministry that worked in partnership with area parishes and community non-profits to serve and support families and individuals in need. SJS partners with students to strengthen and develop their skills to move from a position of poverty and assistance to one of economic, spiritual, and social self-sufficiency.
In November 2001, SJS partnered with St. Mark’s Catholic Church to transform their former convent into an outreach center to serve the primarily Latino Humboldt Park/West Town neighborhood. At the same time, St. Joseph Services began a partnership with the LaSallian Christian Brothers who were opening the San Miguel School-Gary Comer Campus, an inner-city school in the Austin community. San Miguel provided vulnerable children with innovative and accessible education. St. Joseph Services provided community outreach, case management, after-school programming, and adult education.
Today, St. Joseph Services has seven active sites, including Workplace Literacy sites in manufacturing facilities, the After School Program at St. Angela School in Austin, English Literacy classes at St. Catherine Laboure Parish in Glenview, and weekend youth programs at the Austin Community Center. Since August 2012, our administrative offices are located at Josephinum Academy high school for women while nearby St. Aloysius’ Monsignor Thiele Center houses our Humboldt Park programming, which recently expanded to include the new Workforce Development Internship Program. We leverage a small, dedicated staff who work closely with over 400 generous, trained volunteers to provide programs, which welcome more than 1,000 youth and adults. St. Joseph Services changes lives through education.